Many cases of pet poisoning occur in plenty of households as pets can get poisoned by various household substances. As a responsible pet owner, it is important to recognize when your pet has been poisoned.
Top Pet Poisons
Some substances may not be harmful to you when ingested or inhaled but may cause harm to your pet. They include:
- Over-the-counter medication such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and herbal supplements.
- Foods such as grapes, chocolate, raisins, onions, and garlic.
- Household items such as paint, cleaning products, and glue.
- Plants such as sago palm and lilies.
- Garden products such as fertilizers and weed killers.
Types of Poisoning in Pets
They include diarrhea, constipation, vomiting, and loss of appetite. These symptoms occur when a pet ingests garbage, paint, or plants that contain poison. Sometimes, these symptoms also appear when a pet suffers snake bites or ingests a toxic substance.
Neurologic Poisoning Symptoms
Sometimes, poison affects the pet’s brain. Pet’s brains are susceptible to several poisons such as alcohol, insecticide, antidepressants, flea repellants, detergents, and aspirin. When this occurs, your pet may display excessive panting, twitching, cycling, restlessness, muscle spasms, tremors, and convulsions. Snake bites and poison from toads and spiders may cause seizures in the pet.
Poison from rats and mice causes nose bleeds and anemia in pets. Some spices from the kitchen, including onions and garlic, when ingested in excessive amounts, can cause anemia to the pet.
Recognizing Symptoms of Pet Symptoms
How fast pets exhibit symptoms depends on the poison ingested and how much your pet has consumed. While some poison such as strychnine cause immediate symptoms, other poisons have delated symptoms. You can identify the poison when your pet becomes ill. Signs of illnesses include:
- Presence of blood in the stool.
- Vomiting and diarrhea.
- Loss of appetite.
- Sensitivity to light.
- Increased heart rate.
- Labored breathing.
What to Do When Your Pet Has Been Poisoned
Once your pet exhibits these signs, try to identify which poison your pet has taken. It is vital for its treatment. Then, contact a professional and describe the toxin ingested. Keep a sample of the poison or its container so that the vet determines the best treatment. If the poison affects your pet’s skin, bathe him or her with lots of water.
Treatment for Poisoned Pet
Treatment varies and depends on the poison involved. If the pet swallowed up the poison, you may need to induce vomiting but not always. This is only helpful when your pet gobbled up medication like aspirin.
However, some poisons can cause lung infections when vomited. These poisons include petroleum products like paint thinner. Your vet may advise you to give the pet activated charcoal to absorb the poison in the intestines and stomach.
Once you notice the signs of poisoning in your pet, get professional help before taking any steps. At Mokena Animal Clinic in Mokena, Illinois, you are guaranteed quality diagnosis and treatment of your pet. Call us today at 708-479-2811 to schedule an appointment.